I recently turned 25 and supposedly became a proper adult. While I’m not really sure if I’ve got this grown up thing even a little bit right yet, or if I ever will, I do know a few things now for sure that I’d like to share with you.
1. Yes, you WERE that annoying, obnoxious and rude as a teenager.
2. Love can come from rather unexpected places. Remember to stay open to it.
3. You can’t force everyone to see things your way, but you can educate them – as long as you’re open to listening to their view too.
4. Also, it’s more than okay to have an opinion. Don’t let anyone silence you.
5. Change WILL happen. No one likes it (seriously, it sucks), but it’s necessary for personal growth.
6. You are where you are mostly because of the decisions you’ve made. Own it.
7. Always do something you love over something that will bring you only momentary or monetary happiness.
8. Trust your body. It knows what it wants. Most of the time.
9. You’re never too old to do something fun, or too young to take responsibility for something you did.
10. Horrible things happen to good people. It’s a startling truth. The trick is to learn how to deal with it.
11. Some people are not meant to be in your life forever. It’s okay to let them go.
12. You don’t need to see someone every day to know they’re your best friend.
13. There’s always going to be someone smarter, funnier, wiser, or sexier than you are, but that doesn’t make you any less amazing.
14. Laugh as much as possible for as long as you can. It’s good for you.
15. Your mom may not always have been right, but she wasn’t always completely wrong either.
16. Take ALL the pictures you can. Document your life and your journey. Record happy moments with people who matter, and the silly things you’ve done. You don’t know how long you’ve got.
17. Mental illness does not make you less. You might feel alone, but you’re not.
18. Be humble. Before someone makes you feel like you know less than Jon Snow.
19. Not everyone is going to like you. That’s okay.
20. Your identity is yours. No one can tell you who to be and what to do unless you let them.
21. There’s a difference between loving yourself and being full of it. Learn that difference.
22. Women have been told for too long that we need to compete for the attention of men. Don’t. Appreciate the struggles and beauty of the woman next to you.
23. Just because you’re getting older doesn’t mean you have to get old. Embrace your age and have fun with it.
24. Privilege is real. We all have some. Acknowledge it. Use it to help others who do not have the same privileges.
25. You are enough. If someone makes you feel like you’re not, you need to reevaluate that relationship.