The Nigerian Edikang Ikong soup or simply Vegetable Soup is native to the Efiks, people from Akwa Ibom and Cross River states of Nigeria. It is a general notion that the Edikang Ikong soup is very nutritious and this is very much so. Prepared with a generous quantity of pumpkin leaves and water leaves, this Nigerian soup recipe is nourishing in every sense of the word.
How to Cook Edikang Ikong Soup
It is common for Nigerians to request this soup recipe after a bout of illness as we trust it to replenish whatever was lost during the sickness. But you don’t not need to be in a state of convalescence to enjoy this wholesome Nigerian food recipe.
Ingredients for Afang Soup
400g sliced Okazi/Afang leaves | about 4 handfuls
250g Water leaves
20 to 25 cl red palm oil (about 1 drink glass)
Beef, Kanda and Dry fish
2 tablespoons ground crayfish
Pepper and salt (to taste)
2 stock cubes
Before you cook the Nigerian Afang Soup
1. Wash, drain and slice the water leaves into tiny pieces. Grind or pound the sliced Okazi leaves. In Nigerian markets, the sellers of these sliced Okazi leaves have a machine for grinding it. You can also grind it with your blender with a small quantity of water. Take a look at the
ground Okazi leaves .
2. Grind your pepper and crayfish and cut the onions into tiny pieces.
1. Boil the beef and Kanda with the diced onions and stock cubes in a very small quantity of water. When done, add the dry fish and cook for about 5 more minutes.
2. Now add the palm oil, crayfish and pepper. Once it starts boiling, add the afang (okazi) leaves, water leaves and periwinkle. When the okazi leaves have softened and the water has dried up a bit, add salt to taste and leave to simmer for about 5 minutes.
The Afang soup is ready!
Serve with Garri (Eba) , Semolina Fufu, Amala, Cassava Fufu or Pounded Yam
- The Streets of London, June 2022- The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee - 2nd July 2022
- Summer in London- Tours, River cruise and Tickets - 24th May 2022
- I visited London’s largest roof garden – 120 Fenchurch Street - 26th March 2022