The pandemic affected schools in the UK, but I’m glad to see that people have remained positive, and have decided to come into the UK to study still. Welcome everyone!
Ok! Now you’ve arrived.
Want to make friends?
Looking for love?
Want to explore?
Anyways, I’m going to share few tips on what you should do when you arrive.
1) Get a UK phone number:
Well, the first thing you need to do is to get a UK phone number. You can go into any of the convenient shops and get a UK sim.
2) Use your map: Now, you’re in the UK, your map is your best friend. Get use to using the map! Your Google map will help you find your way wherever you go. If you ever get lost, your map will help you find your way back home. Every single person living in the UK uses a Google map.
3) Set up a bank account: You might have to book an appointment to get your account all set up.
4) Get a rail card: If you’re in London, you might want to get an oyster card. Or if you’re outside London, you might want to get a rail card for a year. It gives you discount prices for a year, and then you can renew after one year. A 16-25 Railcard costs just £30 and it’ll save you 1/3 on rail fares throughout Great Britain for a whole year. Don’t miss out!
5) Get a taxi number: This is just in case of any emergency, so you can call a local taxi, and they can get to you soon enough. Or you can download the Uber application.
6) Started online classes? You might want to make a friend or two in your class, just to keep in check with what’s going on around your course. You can meet up with them after class or on weekends, who knows? You guys might be best of friends.
7) If you find a church to go to every Sunday, you can make friends in church too. When you’re new, you need as much information to help you settle well. You have to meet people to know more. We all learn everyday.
8) Don’t shop in one store: Learn to go to different shops to know what different shops offer and their price difference. Don’t just shop at shop A. Shop B, C, D and E might have quality items too and in lower prices.
9) Apply for an NI: If you want to work in the UK, you’ll need a national insurance number. Details on how to apply is on the government website.
10) Get your student discount and save more: You won’t be a student forever, so why not start using your benefits?
So, being a student in the UK, you get reduced prices on a number of items and services. UNIDAYS & STUDENT BEANS application gives you discounts on food deliveries and when you shop online. Download these apps to get your discounts now.
Finally, enjoy every moment, smile and remain positive. The UK is a beautiful place.
Please leave your comments below.